Erieside Bible Challenge is an 8 week discipleship tool to encourage Bible reading and spiritual conversation throughout our church. Through the use of competition, peer accountability, and incentives, EBC is designed to form new and solidified habits of discipleship.
Season 1: January 1st – February 25th, 2024
Registration Deadline: December 31st
How it works:
- Each home is a “team” competing in the Erieside Bible Challenge. Some teams may have six members while others have two.
- Single people can join together with one or two others to form a team or join a family’s team as an honorary member.
- Teams must register before the season begins.
- Every Monday, teams will be emailed a lesson, which includes a passage of scripture to read during the week, a verse to memorize, and a QR code that links to a set of questions in a Google Quiz. Each question has a point value.
- For teams with Middle School and younger children, the children must try to answer the questions first before an adult attempts.
- Teams have until Sunday at midnight to complete each week’s lesson. Teams must put away their notes and Bibles before beginning the quiz.
- The commissioner will score each team’s answers and release a new leaderboard every Monday morning through a group text.
- The winning team receives an elegant trophy to proudly display in their home until the next season when they must defend or lose the trophy to another team.
- This seems like a kids’ program. Why are adults included, especially those without children?
If it seems like a kids’ program, that is only because it seems like a fun program. Erieside Bible Challenge is designed to be a playful, but intentional and strategic way to encourage everyone in our church. Kids will model what they see adults in the church doing, and adults will be encouraged by the faith being passed down to the next generation. How fun will it be when a 3rd grader is talking to a 70-year-old about how their team is beating them on a Sunday morning!? For this reason, we are “all in this together” when it comes to Erieside Bible Challenge.
- What happens if we miss a week?
If you miss the Sunday at midnight deadline, that just means you don’t get the points for that week. But, it does not mean you are out of the competition! Pick back up next week, and make sure you’re completing the Midweek Challenge to earn your team its bonus points each week.
- How many times can my Team take the Quiz each week?
Each Team may take the Erieside Bible Challenge quiz ONE time per week. If multiple quizzes are submitted, only the first quiz will be scored (exception will be made for accidental submission of a blank quiz).
- What happens in the offseason?
Great question! It’s likely that Erieside Bible Challenge will have three-four seasons each year. For the weeks between seasons (officially known as the “offseason”), we will encourage families to continue building habits of Bible reading (ask Pastor Geary or check our Church library if you need ideas for further family devotional reading).
- Why the need for competition? That does not seem to fit with Bible reading.
The competitive aspect of Erieside Bible Challenge is merely meant to encourage and build shared camaraderie around discipleship. In fact, Erieside Bible Challenge is simply using three elements that are proven habit builders for the glory of God: competition, peer accountability, and incentivization. Unsportsmanlike conduct has no place in this Challenge. We all win together!
Erieside Bible Challenge Season 1 Signup
Signup to join us for Season 1 of Erieside's Bible Challenge, beginning 1/1/2024!